Instructions – Complete the handouts using the following instructions.
- Use a colour of two different shades for the chromosomes from dad’s parents and complete the spermatogenesis diagram. For example, dark blue for the chromosomes from dad’s dad, light blue for the chromosomes from dad’s mom.
- Used a colour that is distinct from dad’s for mom’s chromosomes. Use two different shades of the same colour. For example, red for the chromosomes from mom’s dad and pink for the chromosomes from mom’s mom.
- Randomly choose one of the four sperm that were generated to create the zygote on the conception sheet.
- Below every cell in all of your diagrams identify it as diploid or haploid.
- Within every cell in all of your diagrams, identify the form the chromosomes are in.
- Whose genes did the zygote get most of from:
a) mom (i.e. mom’s mom or mom’s dad)? b) dad (i.e. dad’s mom or dad’s dad)?
- Based on your drawings and knowledge, what is the overall purpose of meiosis I? (i.e. refer to your drawings and knowledge in your answer)
- Based on your drawings and knowledge, what is the overall purpose of meiosis II? (i.e. refer to your drawings and knowledge in your answer)
- In terms of chromosome distribution (independent assortment), we tossed the coin twice for each round of meiosis. How many total coin tosses would there be in meiosis of a human cell? Explain how you arrived at this number.
- Explain how it is impossible (other than for identical twins) for one zygote to be genetically identical to another.
- i) When does meiosis happen in a) males? b) females?
ii) Why is the number of gametes that come from a primary oocyte different that the number of gametes that come from a primary spermatocyte?
Application Do some research to answer the following questions.
- Other than disease protection, why does meiosis and sexual reproduction give a species an advantage over asexual reproduction? Give examples to back up your response.
- In text and diagram, explain how non-disjunction can happen and identify and describe a condition that non-disjunction can lead to (i.e. describe what happens with the chromosomal situation but also the symptoms and prognosis of the condition).
- What does the Catholic Church teach about the value of the zygote? How does this teaching relate to the use of human embryonic stem cells? What is a source of stem cells that could be used that would be acceptable to our religion? (Note: you will need to refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church or the YOUCAT to answer these questions.)
Cite your sources using APA referencing. Both in-text and end-of-text are required for information acquired outside of class. If you use the textbook, you must cite this too.