- Submit your completed diagrams along with the answers to the questions that follow below.
- Below every cell in all of your diagrams identify it as diploid or haploid.
- Within every cell in all of your diagrams, identify it as having chromatids, dyads or tetrads.
- How many gametes are produced after a cell goes through meiosis in a male?
- How many gametes are produced after a cell goes through meiosis in a female?
- Based on your drawings and knowledge, what is the overall purpose of meiosis I?
- Based on your drawings and knowledge, what is the overall purpose of meiosis II?
- Whose genes did the zygote get most of from a) mom (i.e. mom’s mom or mom’s dad)? b) dad (i.e. dad’s mom or dad’s dad)?
Application Do some research to answer the following questions
- What are polar bodies and why do they form?
- When does meiosis happen in human males?
- When does meiosis happen in human females?
- Other than disease protection, why does meiosis and sexual reproduction give a species an advantage over asexual reproduction? (i.e. why don’t we just reproduce through mitosis?)
- In text and diagram, explain how non-disjunction can happen and identify and describe a condition that non-disjunction can lead to.
Cite your sources using APA referencing. Both in-text and end-of-text are required for information acquired outside of class. If you use the textbook, you must cite this too. Rubric