In addition to finding a YouTube clip or animation for all the transport types we listed in our notes, answer the following questions for the case above. Imagine this is a picture of two sugar solutions in a beaker with a semipermeable membrane running through the middle of it. Water molecules can pass through it but the sugars cannot. There are 30 water molecules on either side of the membrane to begin with.
- What is the percent concentration of sugar on either side of the membrane?n of sugar/n of water x 100%
- Which way will the water move?
- Why will it move this way?
- How many water molecules will move this way? Justify your answer mathematically.
- What will happen to the heights of the solutions on either side of the membrane in this imaginary beaker?
- How does this relate to our kidneys?