Scan through the questions, watch the videos, read the abstract in the link below and do some other research to answer the questions in your notes.
Cancer Warrior Questions
- What is endostatin?
- How does endostatin differ from other cancer drugs?
- Where is Duane’s cancer located?
- What problem was Dr. Folkman originally trying to solve?
- What happened to the tumor cells on the thyroid gland in Folkman’s experiment?
- What does angiogenesis mean?
- Are there blood vessels in the cornea?
- What happens when a tumor is added to a rabbit cornea?
- What would an angiogenesis inhibitor do in the rabbit cornea with a tumor placed in it?
- Was endostatin easy to isolate?
- Why were the scientists looking for an angiogenesis inhibitor in cartilage?
- How did Robert D’Amato arrive at thalidomide as a possible angiogenesis inhibitor?
- What event caused Noel Bouck to totally shift the direction of her research? Why might this be considered Divine Intervention (a nudge from God) as opposed to just a coincidence?
- What significant things did Judah Folkman read about that she discovered?
- What two treatments had Tim first tried for his myeloma?
- How many years of animal studies were needed before human trials of endostatin began?
- How many anti-angiogenic drugs in addition to endostatin were being tested when this documentary came out?
- Why was Duane removed from the clinical trial?
- What happened to him? – you’ll have to do some research beyond the video for this
- According to the article on current studies with endostatin, what three factors doomed naturally produced endostatin as a treatment for cancer?
- What did Chinese scientists do to solve these problems?
- When was this modified form of endostatin approved as a drug?
- What have they concluded about its effectiveness?
- Is there still hope that endostatin can be an effective treatment for cancer?